AW: security code number generation

Pete pete at mollysrevenge.com
Mon Jul 18 13:16:07 EDT 2011

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts on this.  I agree that you can never
100% prevent piracy from those who are determined enough and can waste a lot
of time and effort trying to do so.  I guess that's a plus for Zygodact - I
buy the product, spend perhaps a couple of hours doing whatever
customisation I think I need, and I'm done.

The target audience for the product I'm working on ( a Livecode/SQL database
application development tool) is almost exclusively Livecode developers, not
the end users of the applications they develop.  I think developers, in
general, are a pretty honest bunch so I'm not overly concerned about
licensing/piracy but seems like there needs to be something in place, if
only as a reminder that their demo period is about to expire and it's time
to pay if they like what they've seen (that's certainly prodded me into
payment in the past).

I'm also reminded of the recent discussion on the use of password protected
stacks.  I'm tempted to go that route, not for reasons of piracy protection,
but mainly because I could see huge support problems for me if people change
my code for some reason then find that they've broken it.  On the other
hand, they could improve it :-)

Pete