security code number generation

Shao Sean shaosean at wehostmacs.com
Mon Jul 18 06:18:43 EDT 2011

Thanks Tiemo, but Shao is Chinese ;-)

In regards to your second point, most password schemes just run an
algorithm based on the inputted information to determine that the
serial number is correct, or run an algorithm to check that the serial
number entered matches a pattern/checksum..

The one that I did (it is just a proof of concept that I did for fun)
basically encodes any information you want it to contain.. Once you
input your information and the "serial number" you can compare the
information that was encoded against the data entered by the user.. As
previously mentioned, the exact same input data creates a different
encoded output (which was fun to do :-)

But the amount of time and energy spent trying to stop people from
pirating your software can be better spent making your program worth
being paid for.. Keep things simple for the end user to part with
their money and to license their software and they will be more
inclined to do so (look at all the headaches of DRM ;-)

http://images.ncix.com/forumimages/F96CFF63-FCCF-4B43-B25F0CCB4AA06AB4.jpg

-Sean