how to make answer and ask work in revweb?

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Mon Jul 11 20:58:24 EDT 2011

Kee,

I just finished creating a generic dialog sheet created with groups. It's
modal but does not use windows. The function call is:

altAnswerDialog (*dialog icon, dialog title, dialog msg, any number of
buttons)*
*
*
It supports icons: help,information,warning,about,error,question
If the msg is html, then it will display as htmltext
It uses the altButton object, but could be modified to use regular buttons
It slides down from the top of the window, and adjusts it's height to how
large the message. If taller than the window, it will instead put a
scrollbar on the msg field.

it is used like this:

   *get* altAnswerDialog("Question","Logoff or Quit","Do you want to Logoff
or Quit Now?","Logoff","Quit","Cancel")

if it is "Cancel" then exit to top

If this is of interest, holler at me offline and I'll send you copy. I'm
using it in an app which has to work on Mac, PC, and iPad, thus the
requirement of not using real dialogs.

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Kee Nethery <kee at kagi.com> wrote:

> On Jul 11, 2011, at 12:39 PM, Mark Schonewille wrote:
>
> > Hi Kee,
> >
> > There is a focus problem that either doesn't let you type text in the
> dialog or doesn't let you use the browser after the dialog disappears.
>
> yep
>
> > I think that the best way to do this is by making a group with a custom
> dialog. Simply show and hide the group and grab the info you need from that
> group.
>
> I thought so too except that I had ask and answer in code that waits for
> the answer and then continues with the results obtained.
>
> For example, click on a line in a table, ask what should happen, and then
> do it to that line of data in that table. Kinda difficult to simulate that
> with a group without a bunch of message passing and such and breaking up the
> code in strange ways. But it will have to be done.
>
> > Btw, although I have a license for it, I don't use the revweb plugin
> stuff anymore because it is 32 bit only, which is quite deprecated by now.
> All companies that ask me to do web stuff have 64 bit machines (except for
> schools and universities, which won't install the plugin anyway).
>
> I am lucky in that the target audience is 32bit.
>
> Thanks, Kee

Chipp Walters
CEO, Shafer Walters Group, Inc.