Windows System Folder Script

Michael Kann mikekann at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 10 11:30:32 EDT 2011

The following script will open up the requested Windows System Folder. You don't need to know where the desired folder is buried; you only need to know the name.

-------------------
-- text in fld 1 --
-------------------
explorer "shell:Common Start Menu"

-------------------
-- script in button
-------------------

on mouseUp
set hideConsoleWindows to true
put shell(fld 1) into IGNORE
end mouseUp

-------------------
-- gotchas
-------------------
Without the IGNORE you get the msg box popping up.

You need quotes because of the spaces in some folder names. No spaces around the comma. Not sure why "explorer" is needed, but it seems to be required for the folder names with spaces.

Folllowing is a list of the Vista Folders. You could put these in a fld and click on your choice. I've seen a similar list for XP and 7, but I can't seem to find it right now. Perhaps someone can locate it.

-----------------------
Vista System Folders
-----------------------
AddNewProgramsFolder
Administrative Tools
AppData
AppUpdatesFolder
Cache
CD Burning
ChangeRemoveProgramsFolder
Common Administrative Tools
Common AppData
Common Desktop
Common Documents
Common Programs
Common Start Menu
Common Startup
Common Templates
CommonDownloads
CommonMusic
CommonPictures
CommonVideo
ConflictFolder
ConnectionsFolder
Contacts
ControlPanelFolder
Cookies
CredentialManager
CryptoKeys
CSCFolder
Default Gadgets
Desktop
Downloads
DpapiKeys
Favorites
Fonts
Gadgets
Games
GameTasks
History
InternetFolder
Links
Local AppData
LocalAppDataLow
LocalizedResourcesDir
MAPIFolder
My Music
My Pictures
My Video
MyComputerFolder
NetHood -- Network Shortcuts
NetworkPlacesFolder
OEM Links
Original Images
Personal
PhotoAlbums
Playlists
PrintersFolder
PrintHood
Profile
ProgramFiles
ProgramFilesX64 (in 64-bit systems)
ProgramFilesX86 (in 64-bit systems)
ProgramFilesCommon
ProgramFilesCommonX64 (in 64-bit systems)
ProgramFilesCommonX86 (in 64-bit systems)
Programs
Public
PublicGameTasks
Quick Launch