Using linkText

Peter Brigham MD pmbrig at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 09:34:13 EDT 2011

On Jul 7, 2011, at 6:17 PM, Ken Ray wrote:

> On Jul 7, 2011, at 4:14 PM, Pete wrote:
>
>> Thanks, hadn't noticed that.  But it just seems to make the text a link or
>> not, no way to specify what the link should be.
>>
>> Maybe I'm misunderstanding the purpose of linkText.  What I want to do is
>> have each link go to a specific card in the stack....
>
> All that setting the style of a textrun to "link" does is to display it as a web link and when it is clicked it sends a "linkClicked" message to the field with the first parameter being the text that was clicked. It's up to you to trap the "linkClicked" message and then do something with it.
>
> An alternative method is to set the htmlText of a field to text that includes an "a href=" tag; if you do *that*, the value in "href" is returned as the parameter to linkClicked, NOT the text itself. Consider this HTML chunk:

> The phrase "This is a test" will be underlined and clickable, but when you click it:
>
> on linkClicked pText
>  answer pText
> end linkClicked
>
> This would answer "Test", not "This is a test".
>
> HTH,
>
> Ken Ray
> Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
> Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
> Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/

Here's what I have in one of my fields, where I am creating links from time to time:

on mouseup
   -- select the text you want to turn into a link
   -- then control-click the selectedText
   -- mouseup is sent when control-clicking in an unlocked field
   if the environment <> "development" then pass mouseup
   if $user <> "pmbrig" then exit mouseup
   -- prevents other users from modifying links
   if the controlkey is down then
      put the clickchunk into cc
      put the clicktext into ctxt
      put the linktext of cc into linkT
      -- in case you are modifying an existing link
      ask "Linktext for '" & ctxt & "'?" with linkT as sheet
      put result() into r
      put it into linkT
      if r = empty then
         if linkT = empty then
            -- to remove link & set the text back to normal style
            set the forecolor of cc to empty
            set the textstyle of cc to empty
            set the linktext of cc to empty
         else