Linking step of external object build failed

Terry Vogelaar tvogelaar at de-mare.nl
Thu Jul 7 07:08:14 EDT 2011

I tried to get started building an external for iOS. So I tried to follow along with the video on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqduyQkhigg step by step. It worked fine a few days ago, but it stopped working. The only change I can think of is upgrading to 10.6.8. Actually, the build succeeded, and if chosen, the simulator starts up, but no binaries were created, so I cannot test on a device.

The examples don't seem to have this problem. But every newly created project does. Here are the details:

SIMULATOR:
PhaseScriptExecution "Build External" build/rreDevice.build/Debug-iphonesimulator/rreDevice.build/Script-4D3B0F3C1367DD4000E00C1E.sh
cd /Users/tvogelaar/Dropbox/rreDevice
/bin/sh -c /Users/tvogelaar/Dropbox/rreDevice/build/rreDevice.build/Debug-iphonesimulator/rreDevice.build/Script-4D3B0F3C1367DD4000E00C1E.sh

Undefined symbols:
  "___libinfoptr_rreDevice", referenced from:
     -exported_symbol[s_list] command line option
ld: symbol(s) not found
error: linking step of external object build failed

DEVICE:
PhaseScriptExecution "Build External" build/rreDevice.build/Debug-iphoneos/rreDevice.build/Script-4D3B0F3C1367DD4000E00C1E.sh
cd /Users/tvogelaar/Dropbox/rreDevice
/bin/sh -c /Users/tvogelaar/Dropbox/rreDevice/build/rreDevice.build/Debug-iphoneos/rreDevice.build/Script-4D3B0F3C1367DD4000E00C1E.sh

ld: cannot export hidden symbol ___libinfoptr_rreDevice for architecture armv6
error: linking step of external object build failed

Anyone experiencing this as well?

Terry