default textsize and textfont?

Terry Judd tsj at unimelb.edu.au
Tue Jul 5 20:58:25 EDT 2011

On 06/07/2011 10:41 AM, "Richard Gaskin" <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> Terry Judd wrote:
>
>> On 06/07/2011 10:04 AM, "Richard Gaskin" <ambassador at fourthworld.com>
>> wrote:
>>> It would be nice if the engine's default matched the current OS system
>>> font default, but alas AFAIK the engine's default is Helvetica 14.
>>>
>>> In the LiveCode IDE a new stack will take on the settings of the Home
>>> stack, which the IDE sets at startup and as we need to do in our
>>> standalones.
>>
>> Just looked in the LiveCode prefs (OSX) and the only place you seem to be
>> able to specify a font and size in in the Script Editor panel. On my
>> installation this is set to default and it's certainly showing up as Lucinda
>> Grande in the script editor.
>
> The scriptTextFont and scriptTextSize are global properties in LC, as in
> HC before it.  Those affect only the display of text in scripts, and
> AFAIK have no effect on any controls in stacks.
>
> For things other than scripts, I believe the IDE has a script that sets
> those values of the Home stack, so stacks which don't have those
> properties set will adopt the Home properties.
>
> This is why stacks made with LC look funky when opened in MC, since MC
> lives close to the engine and doesn't alter most of the engine defaults,
> minimizing differences between development and runtime.
>

>> I might be wrong but I don't think you can change the System font or size on
>> OSX without messing around using command line utilities. Things are probably
>> very different on Windows.
>
> I may have misunderstood the original request. I had thought the goal
> was to set the stack's font to match that of the OS, not the other way
> around.
>
> OS X has very limited options for altering the default appearance, so it
> may not be possible to set that property for the OS, or at least not
> easy.  Apple's already made that decision for you - how could they be
> wrong? :)

OK - I think we're going around in circles. All I was trying to say was that
for me getting the effective textFont and textSize of a new stack returns
the appropriate values for the system font and size on OSX. Given that you
can't (easily) change the system font then you shouldn't need to do anything
to match your stack's font settings to the system settings on OSX.

Terry...