Adventures in Unicode

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 15:03:02 EDT 2011

possibly subtitled "Wading through treacle".

My 'eternal' Devawriter didn't display glyphs properly once they were
entered via a slightly mephistophelian process into the OUTPUT field,
and at least one of my beta-testers was getting quite crochety about it
(mainly as I had had no epiphanies of late). Then, flashes of slightly
murky light, and it occurred to me that upping the textSize of the
output field,
and then setting it down by one again . . . take a deep breath, you know
Richmond is daft . . . and then, of course, one has to shift the
unicodeText out
of the field while it is resized and then return it . . .

But; it worketh . . .

follow me closely:

set the useUnicode to true
   set the unicodeText of the fld "HOLDER" to the unicodeText of fld
"OUTPUT"
put the textSize of fld "OUTPUT" into BIGGY
put BIGGY + 1 into BIGGGY
set the textSize of fld " OUTPUT" to BIGGGY
put empty into fld "OUTPUT"
set the unicodeText of the fld "OUTPUT" to the unicodeText of fld "HOLDER"
put empty into fld "HOLDER"
set the unicodeText of the fld "HOLDER" to the unicodeText of fld "OUTPUT"
set the textSize of fld " OUTPUT" to BIGGY
put empty into fld "OUTPUT"
set the unicodeText of the fld "OUTPUT" to the unicodeText of fld "HOLDER"
put empty into fld "HOLDER"
select after fld "OUTPUT"

this is just about as clunky as one gets, but it seems the only way in
which one can ensure unicodeText is represented properly.

and, before you mention it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noddy_Holder

I'm off to the funny-farm for a quick frontal lobotomy after that one
(which took me about a year to come round to).