Live LiveCode Code Event looking for presenters

David C. davidocoker at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 18:55:27 EST 2011

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Calvin  wrote:

> As afar as Linux is concerned, you piqued mu interest as I have been
> watching Linux with a keen eye for years.  When I went to check out how
> Torvald's O/S was doing, I found this...
>
> http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-200807-201101-bar
>
> Not very encouraging, is it.  Linux may not be a "wild coyote lurking on the
> fringes," but at #5 of 5 and only 0.75%, Linux has it's work cut out for
> itself.

<snip>

> I always like to get a comprehensive perspective.

Hi there Calvin,
With respect to all of the "other" operating systems and their various
adherents, if you really want a comprehensive perspective as
described, then you need to stop "watching with interest" and start
TRYING it for yourself. If all of the waiting and watching is based on
popularity of brand x, then you will never know the difference. ;-)

Almost every modern Linux distro "out there" will have a Live CD for
their offering, which means you can easily test it for yourself.
Download the iso file, burn it to a blank CD (there's your only cost)
and simply reboot with it in the tray.

>From a user experience, if you regularly watch commercial movie DVD's
on the computer --or if-- you absolutely must run proprietary
Windows/Mac software, -or if- you are joined at the hip with iTunes
due of your choice in mobile devices and/or past music purchases, you
may not like Linux very much (or at least for very long). If those
things do not apply, you have a very high chance of actually enjoying
the Linux experience completely. Dealing with the DVD issue is pretty
simple and inexpensive to correct... don't know what to say about the
iTunes ball and chain.

Linux is certainly not for everyone, but you'll never know for sure by
sitting and watching from the sidelines.

Best regards,
David C.