Feature support by deployment type - the state of the art?

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 24 16:35:01 EST 2011

--- On Mon, 1/24/11, Keith Clarke <keith.clarke at clarkeandclarke.co.uk> wrote:
> Thanks to Jaque and Lynn for the
> clarifications. I knew about the server-side revServer stack
> limitation but it's good to know that revlets support
> stacks, sub-stacks and multiple stacks.
>
> This corrects a misunderstanding I have held from early in
> my learning curve, when an add-on developer led me to
> believe that revlets didn't support stacks. :-((
>
> Still, I'm more than happy to be corrected on this, if it
> means I can start creating :-)
>
> So, how does one tell whether an add-on uses/requires the
> externals specification?

Revlets support a mainstack with substacks - but not multiple separate stacks. In addition, Revlets cannot currently use multiple windows - though you can use 'go in the window of this stack' or multiple revlets on the same webpage to achieve most goals, this does complicate add-on support. Not to mention the security sandbox constraints.

As for add-on externals requirements, that's harder to guess. Sometimes they rely on an external that ships with LiveCode (except on iOS, which currently has no externals support at all) - so it's best to look around the product website and send an email to the author if it's not clear.

Jan Schenkel.
=====
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for LiveCode
www.quartam.com

=====