usb driver problem

Thomas McGrath III mcgrath3 at mac.com
Sat Jan 22 11:04:16 EST 2011

JB,

That's just it - in the Arduino IDE you have Serial Monitor and it actually has an option for "No line ending", "Newline", "Carriage return", "Both NL & CR" and then most of the time it looks like 9600 baud is used.You can select from 300 to 115200 baud. You can also check a box for autoscroll. But that's it. There is no place for any other options and yet it works fine.

The Serial Monitor uses the "/dev/tty.usbmodem1a21" instead of the "/dev/cu.usbmodem1a21" that LC likes to use.

Also there are no options for Hardware Handshaking or any other options like we would set in the serialControlString in LC.
In my research I have seen people mentioning the 8 - 1 - none but all of the serial code that I've seen doesn't even set anything more than Serial.begin and Serial.println -- not even end. (--  Serial.begin(9600) and Serial.println(val) - -) I hooked up a button and connected it to Serial.end() to try to stop sending data but almost every piece of code I have seen does not use the Serial.end() at all.

I think there is a problem in both the code I am using to read the incoming serial data (looping and line endings) and maybe there is an issue with the buffering of the serial data coming from the Arduino Uno.

So, I can't find a good list of the parameters that I should use for the serial port and for entering in the serialcontrolstring.

Still looking though.

Thanks,

-- Tom McGrath III
http://lazyriver.on-rev.com