Object Prefixation

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 13:48:43 EST 2011

Just to:

Get us back on track with Livecode,

Provide the perfect foil to the thread about files suffixes,

and chew over an old chestnut . . .

If you are one of those people who are worried about being run over by a
number 10 bus, AND, are
arrogant enough to believe that somebody will want to use your code
after you have 'moved on',
surely one of the ways to expedite things (and Klaus can chime in here
with a few more) is to adopt
a COHERENT and CONSISTENT (personally I'm not completely familiar with
what those words
mean) system of prefixation of objects/controls . . .

I tend (and the word 'tend' here indicates that I actually do this very
rarely) to use a one
letter prefix system which is really useless, vis:

"fTEXT" is a field
"gPIC" is a graphic
"gGROOP" should be a group but you will confuse it with a graphic

various others have various other systems of prefixation . . .

so; how about this:

"fldTEXT" is a field
"grfPIC" is a graphic
"grpGROOP" is a group