File Suffix

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Fri Jan 21 13:05:00 EST 2011

I believe this started back with Adobe, where you could name a file .jpg or .jpeg. I was under the impression it was for compatibility with OS X which named files any which way, because their OS is not dependent on a dot extension like Windows was.

If you really want to go way back, Apple Classic didn't use dot extensions at all, and OS X still does not have to. Apple Classic has a header to the file which told the OS all kinds of neat things like the file type and creator.

I thought this was a much superior system, because you could not fool the OS into opening a file with another application (like a bit of malware), but you COULD intentionally do it by dragging a file onto another application and dropping it.

The irony is that all these years I have been ranting, "Who the H*** thought it was a good idea to use dot3 to tell the OS what application a document belonged to???" ;-)

Bob