Plugins

Jim Sims sims at ezpzapps.com
Fri Jan 21 01:15:28 EST 2011

Thank you all, or y'all if appropriate, for the tips.

On Jan 20, 2011, at 8:24 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

<snip>

> The purpose of the plugin-specific messages is to help keep the plugin from interfering with the standard message path. By implementing the "special" messages you don't need to insert handlers for messages that other stacks need to use. For example, if you want the plugin to know about all instances when a stack closes, put a "revCloseStack" handler in your plugin. LiveCode will send that message to all open plugins whenever a user stack closes. (You may already know this, but Richard wondered why those messages were there.)

I was guessing that was the reason, in my own intuitive, vague way  ;-)

There's some discussion on that and more, going back to 2003 in the List Archives (Subject: Re: Where Can I Find Details On PlugIns?) . The Archives are my friends and extra brain.  Very helpful stuff in them.

<snip>

> If your plugin does not need to know about any of the actions in the list, don't write handlers for them and just ignore them. My custom plugins are mostly set to just be in the menu and open on demand.

After reading the Archives I'm thinking that is the way to proceed for what I want to do. A "revCloseStack" (good guess!) might be handy but I can get the job done in other ways.

Ciao, y'all.
sims