No Check Box in the Dictionary??

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Jan 15 09:51:01 EST 2011

Calvin Waterbury wrote:

> I don't mean to be picky, but neither "checkbox" nor "check box" is in
> the dictionary.  If I missed something, please tell me?

By default the IDE is set to what an occasionally-rude person like
myself might call "Lie Mode", in which the names it displays in the
Property Inspectors aren't the actual "English-like" tokens used in the
language itself, but presumably some more-English-like-than-English-like
label that attempts to be more descriptive.

My personal problem with that is that I find it slows rather than
smooths the experience of getting started with the tool, since using the
GUI is a much smaller part of the experience than coding, and for coding
you need to know the actual token.

As Phil noted that's a button style, so you can turn it up in the
Dictionary entry for "style".

Two tips to shorten the distance between "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?" and
"Ah, I get it" going forward:

1. In LC's Preferences window, at the top of the first pane is an option
labeled "Property labels are:" with the default setting of "Description
of option".  If you change that to "Name of LiveTalk property" you'll
pick up the language just a little faster, since the GUI will then
reflect the tokens you'll be using in your scripts.

2. Those coming from a background in VB, ToolBook, or a good many other
IDEs are accustomed to finding a property sheet tool, which lists all of
the properties for a selected object and allows a means of editing them.
  The Property Inspector does a fine job of providing convenient ways to
edit a subset of these, but for learning the language it can be very
helpful to see a list of all of them.

Got you covered there:

4W Props is a simple property sheet tool for LiveCode, available through
the Stacks section in RevNet - in the IDE see:

   Development->Plugins->GoRevNet

HTH -

--
  Richard Gaskin