different screen resolutions (iOS)

Colin Holgate coiin at verizon.net
Sat Jan 15 09:15:36 EST 2011

On Jan 15, 2011, at 6:13 AM, Harald Müller wrote:

> With the upcoming iPad 2 and its once again new screen resolution it will be more difficult to support all devices. As it looks there will be two "logical" resolutions each with two "physical" resolutions on the iOS, perhaps more to come.

Can you point to the specifications page, where they say that the resolution is different? This article here:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/new-in-ios-4.3-the-full-breakdown-with-screenshots/

looks at the various art inside iOS 4.3, and that art suggests that the new iPad would be the same resolution as the current one.

About your overall point of dealing with different screen sizes, there are a few difficulties. With Flash I do use the kind of approach you're suggesting, where my single sized iPhone stage gets scaled up to fill the iPad screen, but there are a good amount of hoops I have to jump through to make sure that the quality remains good.

The larger screen size isn't as big a problem as the different aspect ratios. In Flash I get away with it by having extra content above and below the stage, and when it's blown up to fill the iPad, that extra content becomes visible. With LC, so far at least, the content seems to be aligned top left. That could work out ok, if you have bitmap versions of the different size backgrounds you could jump to the card that has the corresponding sized art, and button layout, etc. With that way of working you could take care of 480x320, 1024x768, and the other device sizes of 800x480 and 1024x600. Any time you learn about a new screen size that you want to support you would need to make a card, or cards, that are laid out for that new size. Or you might be able to do a lot of the work using code.