Layers, revNavigator, & DataGrids

Paul Looney support at ahsomme.com
Wed Jan 12 14:20:47 EST 2011

Fellow Programmers,
For many years I've used the revNavigator plugin to layer objects -
to move objects to any layer, into and out of groups, from one group
to another, etc.

Somewhere around Rev 3.5 the revNavigator broke. Dragging objects in
the list would only put bookmarks at the top of the list - leaving
the selected object in its original layer. Using the Option key to
move objects in groups (per the instructions) did not help. I am
referring to revNavigator 3.0 RC 1.

I can open the stack in an older version of Rev, with the older
version of the Navigator and relayering works properly. BUT...

Having adjusted the object layers in an older version of Rev, the
DataGrids will not work on the stack when it is reopened in LC 4.0 or
4.5.1. All of the grid objects are there but they have no
"intelligence":
1. setting the dgText of the grid group does nothing - does not
produce an error, using a "try/catch" shows nothing
2. the columns are the same size but have no column widths in the
Columns tab on the object inspector
3. "the behavior of group 'DataGrid'" returns empty, not "button id
1005 of stack "revDataGridLibrary""
The original grids in the stack are broken.

I can add new grids and they work properly. BUT...
If I replace the old grids with new ones, I have no way to put them
in the proper layers - short of completely rebuilding a very complex
stack.

So, two questions:
1. Can you recommend something for layering objects in LC 4.5.1 and
later?
2. Is there a way to fix the broken datagrid described above?

FYI, LC 4.0 tested on OS X 10.4.11 on a G4 PowerBook and LC 4.5.1
tested on OS X 10.6.6 on an Intel Mac Mini.

I really appreciate your help.
Paul Looney