Time Limited Demo

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue Jan 11 11:16:34 EST 2011

As Bob says, every scheme can be got around somehow; you just need to
make your scheme strong enough to protect your demo.

You could do something like:

1. Make two programs - an 'installer' and the actual demo.
2. Users download the installer; the installer downloads and decrypts
the demo.
     (NB always in one step, don't allow the demo to be downloaded by
other means and then decrypted).

This ensures that the installer will always operate with an internet
connection to do the download, therefore it can also do any checks you
want it to do.

3. The installer gathers some info from the machine (say, all MAC
addresses it can find, maybe public IP address).
4. It then uses a cgi program on the server to upload and compare these
against a list of previous downloading machines.
5. If not found - add them to the list of machines, and proceed with the
download.
6. If already there - give user a message saying that this appears to be
a repeat of a previous download, and invite them to send a manual
request for permission. If they have a good reason (and there might well
be some cases of this), you can then remove the machine from the list
and they can then download successfully.

It goes without saying that any info about their machine that you intend
to gather and upload must be described in the T&C and should be as
'non-personal' as possible (i.e. MAC address but not the machine's
hostname or workgroup name), and for completeness I would suggest giving
them the option of viewing the info before you upload it, and requiring
them to give permission to proceed with the upload.

-- Alex.