Software Order Processing Service?

Andy Henshaw henshaw at me.com
Sun Jan 9 07:47:58 EST 2011

Yes,  you can do it with on-rev instead of php,  its pretty simple stuff.

We have systems set up with Kagi, Plimus and Paypal.    All do the same thing,  which is on completion of the order they post the order info to a url you choose,  it can be a php or irev file,  it doesnt matter.

You then parse the post data,  in the case of Paypal you can send a request back to them to verify the request came from them just in case someone finds your key issue url out.  In the case of the others,  most send a private piece of data you set up with them so you can verify it.

Once you know it has come from the appropriate person,  you can then code the rest of the file i(in rev in the case of an on-rev file) to generate the key code,  log the sale on your own servers etc.  Our code takes the users email address and uses that as their user name,  and then generates a code based on that.  As the code is generated by a rev cgi,  its easy to have the server issue the code,  and the app decode it.

We tend to use Paypal and Plimus to handle the orders at the moment.

I would say in my opinion Paypal are the best for us and we use Plimus for people who want to pay by card and not through Paypal.

We liked Kagi  but we have a discount system in the software so people could click a button in the software and buy with a discount code if they registered in the first 7 days.  Unfortunately we could not figure out how to attach a discount code to the kagi url and have the discount show on the first order page (it showed on the second,  but by then some users thought they were looking at the full price order form so it didnt work for our particular situation).  It was a shame as they were good until we bought in that discount system.  If there was a way to pass a discount coupon in a url,  and have the discounted price show on the order form we would swap back to them tomorrow.

If you already use Paypal,  look at the IPN settings in your profile (its easier to find in the class version IMO).  If you are averse to reading the 101 page document at Paypal,  you can just set it up initially to post to a url on your server and just set up an irev file to log anything posted to that url,  so when you get an order you can then pop onto the server and see what Paypal send you and work it from there.