Creative Common Copyright Notice in Standalones

David Bovill david at vaudevillecourt.tv
Fri Jan 7 11:13:42 EST 2011

The most important things to do with regard to licenses is to avoid
incompatibility and proliferation of licenses as this prevents people
remixing code from various projects. I'd strongly encourage you to use a GPL
compatible license<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FSF_approved_software_licenses>,
and preferably one already in use by existing liveCode projects.

The most common license used in the LiveCode community is the MIT/X11
license - unless you have real strong reasons to use something else why not
use that? Ralf Bitter, felt strongly he wanted some additional points, and
crafted his own license. After discussing compatibility issues with him he's
changed to using the Apache version 2 license which is GPL compatible - so
other people can mix their code with it.

So why not use the MIT/X11? With regard to content - license it separately
using an appropriate Creative Commons license. I do this, and make sure I
can mix my content with WikiPedia content