[OT] What is an ASROC

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Thu Jan 6 13:00:52 EST 2011

Nuclear capable anti-submarine anti-surface torpedo. I'n not sure if they even still use them, but there was always the threat of some terrorist group forcing their way onto the ship and trying to set off one of the nukes just for the effect of the local radiation. They could not arm the torpedoes without compromising the CO, XO and President of the United States at the same time, so no worries about a full scale nuke going off.

This may come as a shock to some, but we were under strict orders that if a terrorist was using a shipmate as a shield, that we were to shoot through the shipmate to kill the terrorist. You could do it with those old military 45's, but the 9 mils they replaced them with are crap, if you ask me. You could shoot a drug crazed terrorist with a full clip and he would still get you, 3 of your shipmates AND blow the nuke before he dropped dead. Okay I'm exaggerating. Maybe not a full clip...

Crazy stuff huh? But what would you rather have? A dead shipmate and dead terrorist, or a whole shipyard irradiated AND everyone on the ship and within a 5 mile radius dead anyway? Thankfully, we never had to make that decision, but that is the kind of world that terrorism creates when we allow it to exist, because the only cultures that are taught to live and let live it seems are the western ones. <sigh> there I go again.

Bob