size of window decorations

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jan 6 10:31:11 EST 2011

Claus Dreischer wrote:

> is there a way to determine the size of the window decorations (the
> stuff the OS is painting around my stack)?
>
> I would like to move my stack into the upper left corner, but without
> the knowledge of the real height of the whole window (stack + window
> decorations), i don't know how much i should add to the height of this
> stack.
>
> This also depends on the window style (classic 2000, XP, Vista, etc).
>
> Is there a way?

On Mac the window size isn't customizable, so you can measure a screen
shot and be done with it.

For Windows, Klaus' list is very helpful for the default values, but
because those can be adjusted by the user in their Control Panel it may
be better to work from the registry setting for that.

Here's a snipped of a routine I use to place windows(be mindful of email
text wrapping):

   if last word of the systemVersion >= 6 then
       get queryRegistry("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control
Panel\desktop\WindowMetrics\PaddedBorderWidth")
     else
       get queryRegistry("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control
Panel\desktop\WindowMetrics\BorderWidth")
     end if
     if (it is not a number) or ( it = 0) then put 1 into g4WWinMargin
     else
       put round(it / -15) into g4WWinMargin
     end if

Note that the reg key used differs by OS version.  An unnecessary drag,
IMO, and cost me a bit of time turning it up when Vista came out, but
good to know when you need it.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World