save data on cards in standalone app

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Feb 19 21:00:39 EST 2011

On 2/19/11 12:41 PM, Peter Haworth wrote:

> Having been bitten by this myself, I will admit that it's a pet peeve
> of mine that this while issue of the inability to save data in a
> standalone isn't emphasised a hell of a lot more in the LC
> documentation.

Possibly because it's one of those things that "everybody knows", alongo
the lines of "don't use a hair dryer in the bathtub." There has never
been any OS that allowed executables to save to themselves, with the
single exception of OS 9, and that OS has been obsolete for over a
decade. I'm not sure the idea would even occur to any non-Mac developers
(but what do I know.)

I wonder how prominently this is stressed in other programming
languages. Would developers in C or Basic even think to try to save data
to an executable?

Still, I agree it should probably be mentioned somewhere easily found.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com