Can a revlet intereact with a rev server database?

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Wed Feb 16 09:48:35 EST 2011

Kevin,

Sorry, english is not my native language so I may be mixing things up here.

> This works fine up to a point. The issue is that I can't see a way of
> grabbing the user id from the server or making an entry on the database via
> the revlet. - Is it possible?

yes it is, the revLet can talk directly to the database thru revDB
calls (not industry best practice) or you can create a middleman using
RevServer where your revlet talks with an .irev file who talks to the
DB (best practice, it does not expose your db on the web).

> I've tried creating the same interface on the server via .irev files (so I
> can access the database from there) and while I've can populate a dropdown
> with the folderlist, I can't see a way of automating anything when a user
> makes a selection from the list - I'm a novice with .irev

automation on the web can be done in two ways, by providing a submit
button and refreshing the page calculating everything again with the
new folder or by using javascript to automate stuff.

The later technique with javascript is what people uses these days but
it will require you to learn javascript which is IMHO a VERY GOOD
LANGUAGE both powerful and fun.