[OT] Apple at it again

Colin Holgate coiin at verizon.net
Tue Feb 15 22:23:38 EST 2011

On Feb 15, 2011, at 9:51 PM, Chipp Walters wrote:

> I suspect Kindle will have to be dropped from the iPad and iPhone. I'm
> sure Amazon doesn't have 30% in royalties to cough up to Apple for
> books sold.

That's not good logic. For one thing, people are making fortunes off their 70%, and I'm sure Amazon don't making more of a fortune. Also, the 30% applies to subscribers that Apple acquired for the publisher, not ones that the publisher brought to the app. Here's what the deal is supposed to be,:

"“Our philosophy is simple—when Apple brings a new subscriber to the app, Apple earns a 30 percent share; when the publisher brings an existing or new subscriber to the app, the publisher keeps 100 percent and Apple earns nothing,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “All we require is that, if a publisher is making a subscription offer outside of the app, the same (or better) offer be made inside the app, so that customers can easily subscribe with one-click right in the app."