iOS Strategy for multiple device deployment

Thomas McGrath III mcgrath3 at mac.com
Sun Feb 13 14:11:36 EST 2011

Well, after two days (except for LiveCodeTV time of course) of testing I have been able to come to some conclusions concerning Orientation methods. The most obvious is that with the way LiveCode does not handle the orientationChanged we have to use resizeStack instead and this way is much slower than other non-LC apps. The best times are 2-3 count via code updating of layout and go card.

Now these are not timed tests because of the way that Console.app and Organizer/Console lag with messages and I didn't feel like further delaying this by having to build a logging system. I did test both in the simulator and on the device for each of these tests.

For the sake of these tests I am using my iPhone4 and the latest dev build of LC. I also built just one stack with a card for each orientation for each device for each of two views. The cards are all sized for the iPad in both orientations - 1024 x 1024 with a background group with the Grid layout from the iOS Template Creator V2.0 (rev online is still V1.0)
Stack
	iPad Vertical
	iPad Vertical 1
	iPad Horizontal
	iPad Horizontal 1
	iPhoneRetina Vertical
	iPhoneRetina Vertical 1
	iPhoneRetina Horizontal
	iPhoneRetina Horizontal 1

I built a simple interface with a Background grc, rectangle grc set to a border, a button over the rectangle to put a picture in the image, an image, a field with text under the image.

The first TEST was after laying this out on the Vertical card, I copied the controls to the Horizontal card and repositioned everything to look good in that orientation. Then I put this in both cards :
on orientationChanged
	send "updateOrient" to this card in 0 millisecs
end orientationChanged

on updateOrient
put iPhoneDeviceOrientation() into tOrient
if tOrient is "landscape left" then
	put "Hor"
	 go to card "iPhoneRetina Horizontal" in 0 millisecs
else
	put "Vert"
	go to card "iPhoneRetina Vertical" in 0 milisecs
end if
end updateOrient

This does not work!!! It seems that the only Console logs that show up are from the initial launch of the application for orientationChanged! But the orientationChanged is the only way to change things before the screen is rotated - but it does not seem to work right. resizeStack is handled after the screen is rotated so you see the wrong orient for a second or so before the code changes the view or you see a slight delay depending on which method below that you try.

So I put the code into a resizeStack handler in each card and got more consistent results (count is 1,2,3,4,5 at my average verbal speed):

1. Now in the resizeStack I tried:
go to card "iPhoneRetina Horizontal"
-- 3-4 count - There is an initial lag of up to 5 count and subsequent lags of up to 3-4 count -- compared to a 1-2 count for other non-LC apps that rotate.
-- BUT now we have two sets of controls with their own code sets which is problematic at best. But the code on each card can be just for that card concerning coordinates etc.

2. I then tried a hidden group with the same controls on the same card:
show grp "Horizontal"
-- 3-4 count - Initial lag 5 count, subsequent lags 3-4 count
-- Still two sets of controls with two sets of code and more difficult to work with both on the same card with one in a group.

3. I then tried a properties code to get the properties of every control on the card and store them in custom properties:
in a repeat loop
set the xProperty of control Y of this card to the xProperty of btn "Storage"
--  6-8 count and is noticeably slower. Too many properties are being set that haven't changed using this method.

4. I then tried a duplicate Vertical Card and a duplicate Horizontal card to draw from for just the one card.
put "width,height,loc" into tProperties
in a repeat loop
set the tProperties of control Y of this card to the tProperties of control Y of card "iPhoneRetina Dup Vertical"
-- 2-4 count - This appears to be just slightly faster if not the same as the "go card" method in 1.
-- Single set of code. Coordinates do change so code needs to be smarter but tweaking is easier with the two extra cards.

5. By carefully capturing the control layout specs this method will be as fast as 4. above with less cards but tweaking is harder since it is all done via code.
-- 2-4 count

Lastly, All of these are extremely slow compared to other non-LC apps when switching orientation on the iPhone. I am going to test these on the iPad today.

-- Tom McGrath III
http://lazyriver.on-rev.com
3mcgrath at comcast.net