Performance Issues On Linux

David C. davidocoker at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 10:22:52 EST 2011

Hello folks,
I have a stack in development that uses a really large amount of
persistent textual data, which I would normally store outside of the
stack...

Functionality can be described as:
mouseUp on a control, display text file
mouseUp on a different control, display different file
(not rocket science, right?) ;-)

Out of curiosity, I decided to add all of the nearly 80 text files
(roughly 8MB) directly into the stack itself, just to see how well it
would work and was both surprised and disappointed with the results.

On Windows and Mac, the bloated stack works just fine! On Linux
however, it takes sometime 3 to 4 minutes to load up and display
itself on the screen. I can literally watch it gulping MB after MB of
memory using the system monitor, then it will finally display.

When running as a standalone in Linux, it will not display on the
screen until it reaches the point where it's using around 85MB of ram
memory. In the IDE on Linux, it takes around 100MB of ram before
either the IDE or stack is displayed.

I also have a different stack containing around 130 small graphics and
have noticed a very similar negative performance issue when
using/updating them in Linux. Windows and Mac update the screen almost
instantaneously, where even with the screen locked, you can almost see
each one being updated individually on Linux. Very noticeable in
comparison for both issues.

With all factors being exactly the same, does anyone have any ideas as
to why I'm seeing such a negative performance differences on Linux?

Best regards,
David C.