OSX cmd & alt modifiers on left and right arrow keys in text

Keith Clarke keith.clarke at clarkeandclarke.co.uk
Wed Feb 9 08:17:25 EST 2011

Hmmm. Maybe that's good enough for a hobbyist toolkit but surely this a fundamental issue for a cross-platform development application?

I get visual cues that adjust my 'muscle-memory preferences' for modifier keys when I'm in OSX, Ubuntu, Windows XP or 7. However, if I use LiveCode apps - and more importantly, if my potential customers use my LiveCode developed products - suddenly native-looking apps behave in non-standard ways; resulting in service and support issues.

OK, I can dive in under the hood and adjust the behaviours at the rawKey level but that should not be necessary. Surely the default behaviour for both the LiveCode IDE and any stand alone apps should reflect the standards (stated or de facto) of the deployment platform? OK, maybe there should be stand alone export options to break these standards if the developer has good reason to be non-compliant?

I've checked the QA forum and this doesn't seem to be mentioned. Before I formalise this, I want to check whether anyone else shares the view that this is a fundamental usability and standards compliance bug, rather than an enhancement request for one would-be developer?

So, I have created this forum thread to trap any other modifier anomalies for OSX - or other deployment platforms - that could be grouped into a single bug report. http://forums.runrev.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6887
Best,
Keith..