Drag and Drop

dunbarx at aol.com dunbarx at aol.com
Mon Feb 7 01:07:25 EST 2011

Just playing a bit. I made two stacks, one with a button in it and one other. I placed this into the button handler:

on mouseUp
  repeat until the mouse is down
    set the loc of me to the mouseLoc
    put the mouseStack && the mouseLoc
  end repeat
answer the mouseStack && the mouseLoc
end mouseUp

The mouseStack reported accurately as I dragged the button to the other stack. As Jacques pointed out, you cannot drag an object from one stack to another, so a stack is likely the thing to use so that something remains visible as you travel to the other stack. But the function works, and is key, so this should be feasible.

It would naturally be better with a mouseMove, mouseDown or mouseStillDown handler, so that one smooth operation did the work, just like the IDE tool palette does. But I could not get similar code to work with any of them. The mouseLoc reported faithfully in all, but the mouseStack function only worked with mouseUp. Not sure why, though they all have in common that the mouse is down.  Does this make sense?

Craig Newman