How to get current text hiliteColor in Linux?

Warren Samples warren at warrensweb.us
Tue Feb 1 21:31:29 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-01 at 16:18 -0800, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Warren Samples wrote:
>
> > Try this in your terminal:
> >
> > 'gconftool-2 -g /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_color_scheme'
> >

> > Here's what it gives me:
> >
> > warren at mint-i7 ~ $ gconftool-2
> > -g /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_color_scheme
> > fg_color:#3d3d3d3d3d3d
> > bg_color:#e0e0deded3d3
> > text_color:#c7c7c7c7c7c7
> > base_color:#3c3c3b3b3737
> > selected_fg_color:#3d3d3d3d3d3d
> > selected_bg_color:#d0d0d9d9d3d3
> > tooltip_fg_color:#ffffffffffff
> > tooltip_bg_color:#2e2e2d2d2a2a
>
> Here I get a "no value set for '/desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_color_scheme'
>
> :(
>
> As much as I appreciate your help (and will no doubt find the other
> gconf elements valuable later on), after I posted I realized that the
> Lambert Method will work:  enough LC objects take on the appropriate
> hilite color automatically (like default buttons, checkboxes that are
> set, and others) that I should be able to use those to get what I need.
>
> The extra advantage of the Lambert Method is that it'll (hopefully) work
> under KDE as well as Gnome.
>
> --
>   Richard Gaskin
>   Fourth World
>   LiveCode training and consulting: http://www.fourthworld.com
>   Webzine for LiveCode developers: http://www.LiveCodeJournal.com
>   LiveCode Journal blog: http://LiveCodejournal.com/blog.irv

Hi Richard,

This gives a reasonable approximation, certainly much better than the
default, but it raises a question for me. Is there a way to set the
foreground color of the selection? I don't find it in the dictionary,
and the white text doesn't work so well in all cases. Obviously there's
a global property that is being set be set, but I can't find it.

Btw, it might be that you'll get some result running the command:

'gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/interface' or 'get shell("gconftool-2
-R /desktop/gnome/interface")' in Livecode

It's just an attempt to return a smaller result than getting the whole
user desktop config.

Warren