Combo-box text arrows

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Dec 30 00:53:00 EST 2011

On 12/29/11 11:08 PM, Pete wrote:
> I noticed that too. Just looked at the Apple HUG document for OS X and it
> is silent on the matter.  IT feels like the arrow keys should work to me
> since they do work in an option menu and and a combo menu is supposed to a
> combination of an option menu and a field.

It's originally a Windows control which is why I'm a little fuzzy on
expected behavior. I'm hoping someone will save me from having to launch
an emulator to find out.

> On a related topic, I've always had problems figuring out just how to type
> a new value into a combobox.  Is there supposed to be a field at the top of
> all the options by default, do I have to leave an empty line in the
> choices, or what?

The entry doesn't usually go into the menu at all. The field is like an
"other" box. The user can either choose from a list of pre-set items, or
type something else in the field. The menu provides a shortcut for
common choices but the user isn't limited to those.

That said, I've been known to take the label and add it to the menu in a
couple of cases where the menu is a dynamic list of user-created entries.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com