Point at which speaking is stopped?

Mike Bonner bonnmike at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 15:09:52 EST 2011

Yep, in simplest form its not to bad.  I put a bunch of text into a field
then to read it, set the itemdelimter to "."  put the field text into a
variable and replaced "? " with ?. " same with "! " replaced with "!. " (to
ensure we still retain punctuation tone changes)

So the following script placed in a button will read from field 1. Clicking
the button again pauses, Reading picks up where it left off.

local tReading, tCurrLine, tTotalLines,tText
on mouseUp
   if tReading is empty then put false into tReading
   put not tReading into tReading
   set the label of me to "Reading: " & tReading
   startLooping
end mouseUp

command startLooping
   set the linedelimiter to "."
   if tReading then
      if tCurrLine is empty then
         put field 1 into tText
         replace "? " with "?. " in tText
         replace "! " with "!. " in tText
         put the number of lines in tText into tTotalLines
         put 1 into tCurrLine
      end if

      if not revIsSpeaking() then
         revspeak line tCurrLine of tText
         if tCurrLine = tTotalLines then
            put false into tReading
            put empty into tCurrLine
         else
            add 1 to tCurrLine
         end if
      end if
      set the label of me to "Reading: " & tReading
      send startLooping to me in 20 milliseconds
   end if
end startLooping