Function to Upper and Lower Case sentences

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Dec 22 16:03:57 EST 2011

On 12/21/11 7:00 PM, Sivakatirswami wrote:
> well I got this far..

I tinkered with this a little bit last night because I thought a regex
solution would work, but my skills aren't good enough. So I ended up
with something similar to what you've already done.

> #I think there is a better trim leading/trailing space function I saw
> years ago...

I think you're looking for:

  put word 1 to -1 of aSentence into aSentence

> replace "!" with "! " in aSentence
>
> # doesn't help unless next word is in my dictionary.
> # so I need something to "see" exclamation marks as delimiters, not sure
> # how to tackle that if dot is already set as delimiter

I tried using tokens instead of words, which avoids a lot of the problem.

> function capitalizeWords theWord
> put "ganesha, pancha, gurudeva!,gurudev!,Satguru, ganapathi, ganapati,
> yogaswami, siva, shiva, muruga, bodhinatha,lord, nataraja, aum" into
> tCapsDictionary
>
> set the itemdel to comma
>
> if tCapsDictionary contains theWord then
>
> --if theWord is among the items of tCapsDictionary
> ## doesn't work; dunno why...
> # so I used "contains"

The reason it fails is due to the spaces in the comma-delimited
dictionary string. "Among the items of" looks for exact matches, and so
won't match a word without a leading space. Remove the spaces from the
dictionary list and it works.

Here is what I ended up with, but there are still problems with it. It
doesn't account for all possibilities, but it's a start:

on mouseUp
   local tNewSentence
   put the clipboarddata["text"] into tInput

   set the linedel to "."
   repeat for each line aSentence in tInput
     put toLower(word 1 to -1 of aSentence) into aSentence -- the shortcut
     put toUpper(char 1 of aSentence) into char 1 of aSentence
     repeat for each token theWord in aSentence
       if len(theWord) = 1 and charToNum(theWord) < 65 then -- punctuation
         if theWord is in "(<{[" then
           put space & theWord after tNewSentence
         else
           put theWord & space into last char of tNewSentence
         end if
       else -- real words
         put capitalizeWords(theWord) into tWord
         put tWord & space after tNewSentence
       end if
     end repeat
     delete char -1 of tNewSentence -- can incorrectly delete; probably
should data-check it
     put tNewSentence &". " after tOutPut
     put empty into tNewSentence
   end repeat
   if char 1 of tOutput = "." then delete char 1 of tOutput
   set the clipboarddata["text"] to tOutput
   put tOutput
end mouseUp

function capitalizeWords theWord
   put
"ganesha,pancha,gurudeva!,gurudev!,Satguru,ganapathi,ganapati,yogaswami,siva,shiva,muruga,bodhinatha,lord,nataraja,aum"
into tCapsDictionary
   if theWord is among the items of tCapsDictionary then
     put toUpper(char 1 of theWord) into char 1 of theWord
   end if
   return theWord
end capitalizeWords

I still think it could be done with regex in way fewer lines...

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com