Ins and Outs of start using

Michael Doub mike at doub.com
Thu Dec 15 17:36:42 EST 2011

Can someone help me understand the proper usage of start using?   I have a stack that contains a number of scripts that I would like to use as part of a library.   I keep running into a failure situation where the stack that I wish to "start using" can't be found.   I have the main stack and the library stack in the same directory.

In the code below, what directory is xyz.livecode expected to be in?  with the engine? with the main stack?   I have been able to force it to work by always coding the complete path but I have see the code used by others and I would like to clearly understand the default behaviours.

Thanks
   Mike

 try
    start using stack "xyz.livecode"   -- the filename
  end try
  set the wholeMatches to true
  if ("xyz" is not among the lines of the StacksInUse) \   -- the stack name of the library in the file
  then start using stack "xyz"