sort by length of line (Weird)

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Tue Dec 13 17:20:43 EST 2011

Richard-

> There are others, and they wind up consuming a fair amount of time when
> I'm teaching someone LiveCode for the first time.

> Exceptions require memorization, and with a language this broad it can
> helpful to keep the rule set as small as practical.

Again, all good points, and the function/property thing bugs me as
well, as does the fact that you can't use parentheses with commands
even though they're required for functions.

But the point is (and I realize I'm talking about something that is
probably never going to get implemented and is pretty esoteric in the
first place, so I'm going to shut up about it after this) that it's
not an exception in that sense or the word. You can still say "sort
myVar numeric by length(each)", I'm just suggesting that the "numeric"
modifier can be implied (optional) in this case. Anyway, I do see the
point of making the user do the extra thinking and typing, in the same
way that we can't just say "add 1 to x" instead of "put x+1 into x".

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net