[OT] Ghostery

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Tue Dec 13 12:59:53 EST 2011

On 12.12.2011 at 15:59 Uhr -0800 Bob Sneidar apparently wrote:
>Wild turkey guess off the top of my head: Some "web bugs" as Jacque
>put it do not like being blocked and try to re-establish themselves,
>and they are what is leaking.
>
>Bob

That would be too simple. Unfortunately, the problem is same with and
without blocking.

On 13.12.2011 at 9:30 Uhr -0800 Bob Sneidar apparently wrote:
>A long time ago I noticed a memory leak, albeit a small one in
>Safari. Later I discovered it was a known problem, but it wasn't
>fixed for several versions thereafter. Maybe Apple thought it was so
>small that it didn't merit attention.
>
>By the time they fixed it I had given up and went with Firefox.
>
>Bob

The leaked memory is not allocated to any specific program. The
yellow and blue areas in Activity Monitor get bigger and bigger and
green smaller. I have 8 GB and am down to 150 mb free when I should
have 4 GB free. Simply restarting Safari does not help. I need full
restart. No problem if Ghostery is off. Or the leak is then so small
that it is not noticeable.

Anyway, I brought this here only because Jacque mentioned Ghostery on
the list and that is when I started using it.

Robert