Image Cropping Tool for Livecode

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Dec 5 10:53:18 EST 2011

Mark Schonewille wrote:

 > On 5 dec 2011, at 15:55, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >>
 >> LOL.  I haven't had such reports yet, but when delivering robust
 >> systems we don't ship things with the potential for losing data in
 >> the hope that the user simply won't perform the action that would
 >> cause such loss, but aim a little higher to prevent the potential
 >> for loss altogether.
 >>
 >> So the question seems relevant:  how can we turn off this behavior?
 >
 > I see no reason to turn this feature off. I never give the users of
 > my software access to the pointer tool, which means that can never
 > lose data this way.

That seems to be the common workaround to dodgy pointer tool behaviors.
  Jan and Ken take that approach as well, writing hundreds of lines of
code to emulate the pointer tool because the pointer tool itself just
isn't as useful as SuperCard's implementation.

 > As long as LiveCode users don't report this as an actual problem, I'd
 > say don't fix it if it works. I'd rather not request a new feature to
 > optionally turn off image cropping. I'd rather wish RunRev to invest
 > the money I pay for licenses on something really useful, such as
 > truly native text objects.

Agreed.  Please note that I didn't make a feature request, just
wondering if one can trap existing messages/properties to prevent this
undocumented behavior.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World