[OT}] Hypercard and an uneasy read.

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sat Dec 3 00:17:46 EST 2011

Todd-

> The part that I most liked about the linked article was the emphasis on
> explorability. I think HyperCard had it. My other Tool FileMaker had it.
> FileMaker has less of it today. And I think that LiveCode is not as
> explorable as HyperCard was.

I think much of the explorability is still there, but the out-of-box
experience is missing in LC, and always has been through the various
RunRev versions. You could open up HyperCard for the first time and
play around with the rolodex, the calculator, etc. It was easy to
change simple things, add features, learn from mistakes, get your feet
wet until you reached that Aha! moment. With LC there's a learning
curve of several weeks before you get proficient enough to figure out
what this is all about. And up to that point any explorability is just
trying things or plugging in suggestions from others without really
understanding what's going on.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net