[OT}] Hypercard and an uneasy read.

Mark Powell mark_powell at symantec.com
Fri Dec 2 16:28:24 EST 2011

I'll throw my two cents into the mix here too.

I worked at Apple in the 1990-1997 time frame, and was involved in the migration of technical documentation from paper over to CD ROM.  Cutting edge stuff in those days, believe me, and the delivery vehicle we used was...wait for it...Hypercard!  Sounds kind of quaint some twenty years later, but truth be told we were doing stuff then that nobody was doing.  Hammer and chiselling out one-bit graphics
(http://wordscapes.com/work/graphics/onebitgif1.gif)
and doing what must have been one of the first and only implementations of interactive QuickTime. Not to mention the thousands of 512/342 screens-worth of information we published.  They were heady times.

The fact that HC got axed was a cruel blow to me, as I had spent years mastering it. When I left Apple for the Windows-dominated world, I found myself complete naked tool-wise. I am not a programmer by trade and had no other programming/scripting knowledge, so I felt that a good part of my skill set was gone forever.  It was four or five years before I stumbled across Rev, and my professional life was renewed.  I won't really debate the higher level nuance of this platform vs. that platform, nor can I explain why HC was killed (though I think Björnke is dead on right by his comment below).  All I know is that Hypercard entered my professional life at just the right time.  And so did Rev/LiveCode.  Neither is perfect, but I am very grateful to both.

Mark