IMPORTANT: SoCal Meeting CANCELLED

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Dec 2 10:10:02 EST 2011

Judy wrote:

 > Whatever happened to a mid-so-Cal meeting area in OC?

I became infected - with the spirit of Ubuntu. :)

It became increasingly difficult to find a venue which would work for
everyone, and the meetings pretty much came to a standstill for many
months.  But as I mentioned in my post last month, when Bill Vlahos and
I were having dinner a few weeks ago we really missed having our group
meetings and wanted to come up with a way to make it happen now, if even
in a smaller way.

In the Ubuntu community there are many types of events, but the most
common ones are what they call "Ubuntu Hour", where folks who enjoy that
system simply pick a place and a regular time to meet and have smallish
get-togethers, informal affairs with no agenda, no formal presentations,
just sharing and problem-solving and good conversation, often at a local
coffee shop, restaurant, or other public space.

There are also larger events, like the annual Ubuntu Developer Summit
(roughly equivalent in our community to the RevLive conferences RunRev
hosts, and Chipp and Dan's RevCon before that), and regional meetings
like UbuCon held in conjunction with the SoCal Linux Expo.

But these smaller, community-focused Ubuntu Hour meetings are so easy to
set up that they make a great way to enjoy the camaraderie of other fans
on a more regular basis than a larger even can do.

My post last month which originally announced the December meeting
outlined some of these thoughts:

<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2011-November/164536.html>

While LiveCode doesn't have the 19 million users Ubuntu has, there are
still many ways ideas from that community can benefit ours.

So rather than the Pasadena LiveCode group displacing an OC group, it
can simply serve as a model to encourage folks in OC to set up a
separate group that's easy for everyone there to attend.   San Diego as
well, for Richard Herz and the others down there.

In fact, it seems we have enough users in Rio to encourage Andre to
consider starting one there, and perhaps Nicolas Cueto could start one
in Tokyo. Klaus, got enough LiveCode users in your area to set up one in
Hennef, or perhaps Bonn?

LiveCode's audience has grown enough in recent years that I'll be most
major cities - and a few smaller ones - have enough users to make a
LiveCode Hour work well.

Heather set up a place in the LiveCode forums to plan such meetings:
<http://forums.runrev.com/viewforum.php?f=30>

I like the idea of also holding a larger regional meeting, in which we'd
have a venue capable of serving the needs of all of the SoCal fans from
Santa Barbara to San Diego, and perhaps we can set one up in 2012.

But in the meantime, for OC please consider setting up a local meetup
which would be easy for those living in OC to attend.

If I can help with that in any way I'd be happy to do so.  And schedule
permitting, if it happens near an MetroLink line I might even attend
from time to time.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World