[OT}] Hypercard and an uneasy read.

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Fri Dec 2 09:02:37 EST 2011

People who wrote in this thread about why HC was killed are all self centric conspiracy lunatics. Apple was considered dying, bleeding money left and right, and everyone just waited for Jobs to be a megalomaniac idiot and kill the company off ungracefully by what was considered a flawed personality, an outdated idea of what computing is and a bound to fail management style.

But of course Jobs did what he does best: Concentrate on a single project (the iMac & what became Mac OS X), getting ridiculed for it ("only USB? Lickable UI? Not cheap as ad-supported Walmart PC? Jobs is an idiot!"), and then making huge profit from the non-corporate customer market.

Now this concentration on a single task was of course detrimental to a lot of projects, including fancy and forward looking Xerox-lab styled ideas like HyperCard and the Newton, as well as silly stuff like the gazillion Performa models. No one is making up stories that Jobs killed the Performa branding, because his fruity employees disliked the grey colorisation or some shit like that.

All those projects where sucking up money, the only thing Apple didn't have at that time, so they had to die. And yes, some good Products died in those years, but even more bad ones got shafted. This simple and economically sound decision had almost nothing to do with internal strifes, dislikes or philosophic/ideologic "what is the future of computing" reasons.

So a positive account balance saved Apple. After that, Jobs (and in extension Apple) never tried to do world changing research like OpenDoc again, instead focusing on polish over far out features and philosophically approaches to changing the computing landscape. This is most obvious with products like the Mac OS X Finder, who is in many ways a copy of existing concepts, and actively tries to avoid changing the way we use computers.

Björnke