[OT}] Hypercard and an uneasy read.

Todd Geist todd at geistinteractive.com
Thu Dec 1 20:15:12 EST 2011

Hi Bob,

The part that I most liked about the linked article was the emphasis on
explorability. I think HyperCard had it. My other Tool FileMaker had it.
FileMaker has less of it today. And I think that LiveCode is not as
explorable as HyperCard was.  In the case of LiveCode it nows support 7
platforms instead of one.  This adds a lot of complexity, but I am not sure
I would trade that away.

I will say this that LiveCode and FileMaker both remain two of the most
explorable user interface design tools around. HTML/CSS/Javascript have
traditionally sucked in this regard although recently that has changed with
the rise of Jquery and other JS libraries.  Still I defy anyone who has not
done it before to create a simple form with HTML/CSS and JS, I don't care
what IDE they use, they won't be able to do it.  But give some body a
LiveCode Stack or a FileMaker DB and they might be able to pull it off.
 They can explore their way there.

Thats what I love about Explorability.

But your other point about a solution not being simpler than the problem it
is meant to solve. I understand what you mean. But if that were true then
there wouldn't be much advancement in technology. I think that
breakthroughs in technology are really about taking a complex problem and
making it simpler. The best solutions are the simplest ones.

- Albert Einstein

Todd

Todd Geist

(805) 419-9382