SoCal LUG meeting: Wind advisory

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Dec 1 10:30:59 EST 2011

Yesterday I wrote:

> The SoCal LiveCode User Group will be meeting in Pasadena on Thursday,
> Dec 1 - details in the SC LUG forum that Heather graciously set up for
> us in the general LiveCode forums:
>
> <http://forums.runrev.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=9577>

The meeting is definitely happening and I'm looking forward to it.

But for me it's a short walk, and if you live close enough to attend the
meeting you know what we experienced here in Los Angeles last night:
nothing short of Windocalypse.

An unusual weather pattern unlike anything I've seen in my life as a
native Californian brought us winds that were literally like a dry
hurricane. On the Saffir–Simpson Hurricane Scale it was the equivalent
of a Category 2:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saffir%E2%80%93Simpson_Hurricane_Scale>

The noise throughout the night was like nothing I've ever heard, and the
house shook like a 3.5 earthquake that lasted till morning.

Driving to the office this morning was an adventure in route-finding,
with so many trees down they completely blocked many roads.   Currently
a quarter-million people in LA County are without power, with so many
trees having fallen on power lines.

This morning we have a break in the wind storm, and most roads should be
cleared of debris later today.

So for the meeting I just wanted to remind those looking forward to
attending that we're going to do this every month on the first Thursday.

The winds are expected to kick up again later today, and if it's not
safe to drive don't feel like this is the only chance you'll get for
this meeting - put safety first, and feel free to skip this one and come
in January if it seems the safer thing to do.

If you can make it'll be great to see you, but I'd hate to have you
unable to attend because your car got treed on the way to the meeting.

Drive carefully, and if you can make it safely I'm looking forward to
seeing you, and if not I'll look forward to seeing you at the next
meeting on January 5.

For those of you who don't live on SoCal, here's what we have:
<http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/12/high-winds-fell-trees-block-roads-power-outages-damage.html>

More:
<http://news.google.com/search?q=Los+Angeles+wind>

--