Max length of value passed to shell()

Warren Samples warren at warrensweb.us
Mon Aug 29 20:56:29 EDT 2011

On Monday, August 29, 2011 06:35:36 PM Dar Scott wrote:
> Whereas I'm lazy, I thought I'd ask rather than run a test.
>
> Is there some limit to the length of the string passed to shell() on any platform, especially OS X, whether by the engine or the shell-command program itself.  Or
even the typical limitations of utilities themselves.  I'm not concerned about editor limitations; I'm thinking of a computed value passed to shell().

> Anybody happen to know?
>
> Dar

Running getconf ARG_MAX here in BASH under OpenSuse returns 2097152, which seems like pretty many to me. Don't know about Livecode limits, though.

HYH,

Warren