Too many groups!!!

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Fri Aug 26 18:25:11 EDT 2011

Hi all.

I vaguely remember this being discussed before, but it was a long time ago.

I make a lot of use of groups. Datagrids are of course groups in their own right. All my data entry objects are actually a label grouped with a normal field.  It makes it easier for me to drag stuff around on a form. But I also use groups as common backgrounds on my forms so that I do not have to copy paste, recode each object or set behaviors, blah blah you get the picture.

The problem now is that I want to place two groups on a particular card, but when I go to Place Group, I find that every group ever created in my stack on all my forms shows up there. I don't want that! I just want the groups that will act as backgrounds to show up there.

So now is there a property to set to control which groups are considered "backgrounds" and which are just simple groupings of objects? I know about the backgroundBehavior property, but this only affects whether or not new cards will have the background automatically placed, not whether it shows up in the Place Group menu.

If there is not, then this will make a good Feature Request. One more custom property maybe called backgroundObject or something would do the trick! I did notice a very interesting thing: Datagrids are not showing up in the Place Group menu! So there IS a way to do this??

Bob