Sockets Question

Maarten Koopmans maarten.koopmans at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 16:21:08 EDT 2011

Assuming you're talking iOS, use multicast in the mDNS group via an
Objective-C external. Pick your UDP port, and you'll notice that all wifi
routers support zeroconf/bonjour.

This assumes the desktop sends.

--Maarten

On Wednesday, August 24, 2011, Pierre Sahores <sc at sahores-conseil.com>
wrote:
> Untested : a simple PUSH service should do the trick :
>
> Set the clients as servers able to listen to "HTTP POST" messages sent on
the your LAN broadcast address: your choosen port  by your real server where
the posted message will contains the server's IP address the clients will
then be able to store as a global var for further use.

> HTH,
>
> Le 24 août 2011 à 18:01, Andrew Henshaw a écrit :
>
>> I hope someone might have an answer as im just back from vacation and
starting to pull my hair out already :)

>> I have an app that I would like to implement a sync feature in.  The
first step to this would appear to be able to exchange data between the
devices using the local network.  I have sockets up and running,  can
exchange data etc between devices,  all great so far.

>> The problem is at the moment I need to enter the IP address of the
'server' in the setup into the clients for them to be able to connect,  but
I would like the clients to be able to discover the sever automatically as
would happen in most apps.

>> Ive read all sorts of posts from simply scanning the ports,  through to
using 'datagrams' or broadcast messages,  but nothing seems to work.
 Scanning the ports seems very slow and unreliable,  while datagrams just
dont seem to do anything at all.

>> Is there anything anyone can suggest,  it really doesnt matter how its
done as long as it works and is reliable.