Accessing the last item in a line

Pete pete at mollysrevenge.com
Mon Aug 22 02:12:45 EDT 2011

Thanks Jim and Mark.  I think maybe I used the wrong word when I said
"expected" since that's kind of in the eye of the beholder!  This beholder
finds it entirely unexpected.  It means that a string of "a,b," is the same
as a string of "a,b" as far as number of items is concerned and that doesn't
seem right to me.  There are clearly three items in the first example, no
matter if the last one is empty or not.  But it seems that's the way it is
so I accept it as a quirk.

Here's the problem.  I don't know in advance if the last item is empty or
not.  I have to admit, I haven't tried either solution but it feels like
both of them require knowing in advance if the last item is empty.  I think
perhaps I would be better off using an array instead of a string to deal
with this.  Pretty sure that would result in 3 keys with empty in the last
one in the example case.

Thanks for the enlightenment though!

Pete