What to Do Since FTP No Longer Supported in Mac OSX Lion?

Warren Samples warren at warrensweb.us
Sat Aug 13 13:53:02 EDT 2011

On Saturday, August 13, 2011 01:06:43 PM Gregory Lypny wrote:
> Hi Warren,
>
> Thanks for the tip.  I had read that FTP service could be re-enable from the command line.  That will certainly solve the problem, but if Apple has a good reason
for dropping it, it would be nice to be able to do SFTP with LiveCode in order to keep up with the game.

> Regards,
>
> Gregory

Certainly the more protocols supported, the better ;) Since Apple could have used SFTP earlier, but didn't, I wonder if one might ask what good reason they had for
using FTP until now. I think the "good reason" for the current change is that SFTP is more secure and that sounds real good and clearly fits the model of enhanced
security in 10.7. How relevant this additional security is to what percentage of users who have been using OS X's built-in file sharing in the FTP mode, considering
the who, what, how and why, is something that could be debated. (Definitely, though, a trivial pursuit since the decision has been made.)

Warren