Difference between destroyStack and destroyWindow

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Aug 12 22:23:20 EDT 2011

On 8/12/11 7:49 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:
> Bill-
>
> Friday, August 12, 2011, 1:25:49 PM, you wrote:
>
>> They sounds pretty similar to me. What is the difference and why
>> would I ever not want to have them either both on or both off for
>> substacks?
>
> Boy, just when you think maybe you've learned some of this stuff,
> something like this comes along. Beats me. I've never heard of
> destroyWindow before, and I use destroyStack all the time. The docs
> say it's been around since 1.0. It's not in my HC references anywhere.

It's in the MC reference, and when I asked Scott Raney about it I got
the feeling it was largely a Linux/unix thing. But the MC entry seems to
indicate it's useful for externals too. Here's what the MC docs say:

This property controls whether or not the window owned by a stack is
freed when the stack is closed.  To provide best performance, stack
windows are normally unmapped rather than destroyed.  This property may
be useful for those X servers with inadequate memory.  This property is
also useful when debugging external commands and functions.  Externals
exit when the window they use for communication is destroyed and are
restarted when the window is recreated.  Setting this property allows
testing many versions of an external without having to exit MetaCard.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com