Back to LC & Inventive Users

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri Aug 12 02:56:47 EDT 2011

Recently, Judy Perry wrote:

> If you had a month, meaning, 4 long sessions or 8 shorter sessions, to get
> an absolute Joe Public to make something small but semi-interesting in LC,
> i.e., something they couldn't do in PowerPoint, what are the top 5 things
> you'd want them to learn about programming?
>
> I mean, I'm guessing it's something like IDE, Stack-Card metaphor,
> commands, functions, conditionals, variables...  but I'm looking for those
> categories along with some specific examples per my caveats below.

Looking at this from a project point of view, I'd suggest building a music
player and/or media player. There are a bunch of concepts to learn:
- media/file handling
- control logic
- interface layout and display

Seeing and/or hearing the results of a project can be very gratifying for
students who are new to programming.

Other possibilities:
- Calculator
- Clock (digital and/or analog)